Do you want to send and receive SMS messages on your Android tablet? Do you have an Android phone but without an unlimited text messaging plan?
Using the textPlus app, you can send text messages for free to any phone number in the US and Canada, as well as receive messages in the opposite direction. textPlus comes in 2 versions: Free (with advertisement) and Gold (ad-free but you pay).
- Install textPlus - a free app - from the Google Play web store.
- Run the app.
- Tap Sign Up to register for a textPlus account.
- Enter your existing mobile phone number (with the area code).
Note that this phone number is mainly used by others to look you up in the textPlus user base so that they can text or call you. Texting or calling between 2 textPlus users through the textPlus app are free anywhere in the world.
- Confirm the phone number by tapping OK.
- Retrieve the access code from your mobile phone inside the text message.
- Enter the 4-digit access code on the textPlus screen, and tap OK.
- Finish by adding details - gender, birth date - about you, and tap Next.
To send a text message:
- Open the textPlus app.
- Tap the text+ button in the upper right corner.
- Enter the 10-digit Canadian or American phone number you want to text, and tap Add.
- Enter your text message in the Compose Message field, and tap the right arrow.
Part 2 of this short series on textPlus illustrates how to find out about one's own textPlus phone number, and how to receive text messages.